Tuesday, June 19, 2012

Hitting a Rough Patch

Today, I hit a rough spot on this road to better health.  This morning, Brandon and I went to one of my offices and packed up my stuff, and I think that emotionally, this transition is taking a bit of a toll.  We got home and I made him lunch, then I took a brief nap, and then started working on another psych report.  The problem is that my mood is in the toilet, and even Sunday's workout, which was really good, didn't help my mood much.  Not sure why I'm feeling so crappy lately, but I'm SURE it has to do with hormones!!

I didn't work out yesterday because Sunday night was the worst night I have had in a long time.  I had a hard time falling asleep, and then I woke up roasting and had to turn on the AC at 12:30 am.  After returning to bed, I had the most horrible nightmare that I can remember having in a really long time, after which I didn't want to go back to sleep for fear that I would start having the same dream again.  Needless to say, getting out of bed early Monday morning to exercise is what I should have done, but I didn't.  I already had after work plans to go have a drink with my colleagues, and then I had to fetch Brandon at the airport, so I didn't get home and in bed until after 10 pm (hours past my usual bedtime!).

Today, then, was no better.  I didn't feel like working out, but I also didn't want to throw my whole challenge away because of today.  And I guess, really, it wouldn't be throwing it away because the whole point of the challenge was to get me moving more frequently than I had been, which I have certainly accomplished.  Regardless, I am shooting for 18 workouts in 24 days, and skipping today would have killed that chance--so I compromised.  Tonight Brandon and I rode our bikes to the park, shot baskets for about 25 minutes, then went on a 20ish minute bike ride.  While I did not even so much as break a sweat, here is what I did accomplish:
I got out of the house when I didn't feel like it.
I did something with Brandon that he enjoys, at his request.
It was physical and it was outside on a cold, but not rainy, day.
I rode my bike, which I have been wanting to do more.

So while I did not work my butt off, break a sweat, or exhaust myself, what I did do was better than if I had done nothing at all, and so I am counting it as a "work out."  We did have so much fun that Brandon and I are going to go on a longer ride tomorrow evening, which should be nice because it is supposed to be MUCH warmer tomorrow evening.  AND I am going to get up early in the morning to do my TRX workout, which also (always) makes me feel good.

No comments:

Post a Comment